Around three months ago, I lost my father. This was an extremely hard time for me. No matter what happens in my life, I always turn to music and this was no different. My father was the one who gave me and nurtured my love of music. These songs are a combination of songs that I had known about before my father died, and ones that I researched and found after the fact. These ten songs are ones that I found really relatable during the grieving process. Not all of these are about the death of a father, or even death in general but sometimes the most unlikely songs are the ones that help the most.
10. When I Look to the Sky – Train. While this song only came out recently this is a good song for feeling like you’re not alone and helps to remind me that my dad is always watching over me.
9. Happy Home – Lukas Graham. Lukas Graham also lost his dad so a lot of his songs really hit home for me. I like it because it reminds me that even though my dads not here with me, there is still so much love around me.
8. Hear You Me – Jimmy Eat World. I love the line in this song, “may angels lead you in” I like to think that there are angels opening you with open arms when you die and that my dad was welcomed with open arms into this new world when he passed.
7. Mercy – Shawn Mendes. This song has absolutely nothing to do with death. However on the way to the funeral, this song came on and I sang it to God (if there is such a thing) saying please have mercy on me because it felt like I could never catch a break. It gave me someone to blame and actually helped me a lot in the coping process.
6. Welcome To The Black Parade – My Chemical Romance. This song is another one that isn’t about death, but the dad in the song says “one day I’ll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the summer to join the black parade”. I feel like now, I’m a part of the black parade and in a way it reminds me that so many people have gone through this and that I’m not alone.
5. Don’t Worry Now – Britt Nicole. I found this song when I was looking for songs that could help me cope. This song is really sappy but it explained exactly what I was going through, and reminded me that I’m not alone. When you lose someone that close to you, you really feel alone and any reminder that you’re not really helps.
4. Home is Such a Lonely Place – Blink-182. Another song not about death but I just think the title is so accurate. Home really is a lonely place without my dad there and much of the song could be interpreted to fit my situation.
3. You’re Not There – Lukas Graham. This song is so spot on towards how I feel and have felt. I actually said and thought many of the things in this song. The part about people telling him that time heals all wounds is so honest to me because three months later and it still hurts the same as it did that day.
2. Brisbane – Nina Nesbitt. I found this song about a month before my dad died. I thought it was so beautiful and it’s crazy to think that just a month after I first heard this song, I would be the girl in the song. I like the line “you gave me life guess I thought you’d be immortal”. I think we forget that are parents are getting older and that we need to appreciate them while we can. Another part I love about this song is that it talks about walking down the isle with a space open next to you. I can’t help but think that one day that’s going to be me. There isn’t going to be a father daughter dance at my wedding and I love that this song can speak for me.
- Wake Me Up When September Ends – Green Day. I think that this song is the classic go to when people think of a song about someone who’s dad died. This song just came on sometime after my dad died and I had this epiphany like “holy crap I actually get this”. The song just made sense to me and I think that’s really sad because it’s such a sad song but that’s the kinds of connections that musicians strive for when writing songs. My dad died in October, so sometimes when I’m singing this song in my head I replace it with October and it feels like someone took the words right out of my mouth.
If you liked these song suggestions you can check out my spotify: molliemarshallofficial where you can find all these songs and more in a playlist labeled Chin Up